Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Update from Niger..................

Jeff has been in Niger since Friday. Today I got an update from Jeff and I wanted to share because it is something that I would like to ask for prayer for.
Jeff told me that he went to visit his friend, we'll call him Mo because I don't know if I am allowed to share his real name. Jeff met Mo on his first trip to Niger and was privileged to help disciple him for several days. Mo had been baptized by our Pastor when our church first started the Africa missions. He is one of the few converted Muslim men that has not wavered in his commitment to Christ.
Jeff said that when he got to Mo's hut that Mo was "....very, very sick with a high fever that has persisted for two full weeks." Usually Jeff is excitedly greeted by Mo at the front door of the hut but this time Mo could not get out of bed. The medical care is so poor along the Mehanna Road that often times people die of simple things that turn into terrible infections. They die of Malaria which is easily treated with the right medicines. It is very sad. I don't know yet what illness Mo is suffering and I suspect that he doesn't know himself.
Jeff said that they prayed and sang over Mo and that it was a very powerful experience, still he doesn't think his friend will live much longer.
Please pray for Mo and for Jeff and Mark (his friend who he went with). I know this trip has been wonderful for him so far but how do you say goodbye to a friend who's suffering when you know it may be the last time you"ll see them on this earth. My heart is breaking for all of them.

3 comments:

Angie said...

I am so sorry to hear that and will be praying for Jeff's friend along with Jeff and Mark.

Rebecca said...

How heartbreaking. He will be in my prayers, as will Jeff.

Chris said...

It is such a different world and it seems so tragic to loose someone so dear to something probably so easily treatable. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to Jeff, Mo and all those who are with them.